Saturday, October 2, 2010

Multigrain Pancake Mix

It’s October 2nd and here in southwestern Pennsylvania the days are cool, the nights cooler, and the leaves on the trees are just beginning to turn color.


Yesterday, I said farewell to my sandals and flip-flops. It was sad. I cleaned and rubbed some mink oil into the leather; scrubbed and dried the others in the bright sunshine, and wrapped them all in paper to store in boxes until next May or so.


Plastic boxes were brought down from the attic and I folded all of my sleeveless tops and capris and packed them away. The summer purses were cleaned and boxed, too. It’s a ritual I perform every first of October as I very, very reluctantly say goodbye to summer and once again start to wear long jeans, socks, and sneakers (my feet are not at all happy).


Jack, on the other hand, has no such aspirations to give summer a wave. He is still wearing shorts and sandals and will do so until he is too cold to stand it. Oh, by the way, this is the same man who never owned a pair of shorts or a pair of sandals until a few years ago, preferring to wear jeans and sneakers year round. Sometimes I wonder just who he is…\


Last night hit a low of 40F, the lowest it has been for months. When I let Spooky out this morning, I could see my breath. He wasn’t happy, either, and I had to place a folded towel on the patio table (the portion of it that was in full sun) because there was dew covering everything. Pampered pet? Well of course! :)


My kitchen this morning, however, is nice and warm. I turned on the big-stove-griddle and made apple-walnut pancakes which was quite appropriate. I’ve been working on a multigrain pancake recipe for a while now and think I have it where I like it. The recipe below makes 17 cups, so it’s great to make and have on hand. It’s makes a nice, hearty pancake which is not overly grainy. I added a finely chopped (unpeeled) apple and about 2 tablespoons of toasted, chopped walnuts. I would have liked to make a spiced apple compote for on top of the pancakes, but I didn't want to take the time-- I had just returned from a run and I was starving! It might have been too "apple-y" of a breakfast, anyway.


I made apple turkey sausage last weekend and we had a couple of patties today. I used a pound of premade turkey breakfast sausage and added a peeled, shredded apple plus about a tablespoon of minced fresh sage; then formed the mixture into patties, and froze. These were very good, the apple gave a nice flavor and moisture, and the taste of sage went quite well with the apple and turkey.


Multigrain Pancake Mix


Recipe By :Vicci


Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------


2 cups regular oats

6 cups all-purpose flour

3 cups white whole wheat flour

1 cup cornmeal

1 1/4 cups wheat bran -- or 1 cup of oat bran*

1 cup soy protein powder -- (optional)

2/3 cup toasted wheat germ

3/4 cup brown sugar

4 tablespoons baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda

2 teaspoons salt


Combine all ingredients well. Store in a tightly-covered container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months (or, in the summer months, in the refrigerator).


To make 5 5” Pancakes:

beat 1 large egg until fluffy

whisk in 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt + 2/3 cup skim milk OR 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk, and 1/2 teas vanilla extract

add about 1 cup mix, stir just until the ingredients are mixed, and allow to stand for about 10 minutes


NOTES : *- if using oat bran, be sure to allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes for the oat bran to soften.




0 Comments: