Sunday, January 20, 2008

I've Returned-- with Garlic Lime Shrimp

I has been three months since I last posted here and I’ve had to jog my memory a bit by returning to my digital photos file. It’s odd to be able to scroll through so many days in a few minutes. Still-green leaves on the trees, the first snowfall, a party where most guests are in short-sleeves, another where most are wearing sweaters, and so on. My parents had an 8mm movie camera for many years as I was growing up and it wasn’t used very often, so as a result each reel contained several months’ worth of occasions all bumped against one another. The labels read something like:


”xmas67/snowdays68/easter68/girlsbirhdays68/camp68/thanksgiving68/xmas68/easter69/gregsfirstcommunion69…”




Each event or occasion rated a minute or so in length and each reel, when we watch them now, gives me the sense of being pulled through my past at a very brisk pace. And why on earth didn’t someone tell me how geeky those eyeglasses looked in third grade?


Anyway, there really was so much worth noting during those three months that I just cannot do it all.




So I begin with today, Sunday 20 January 2008.


A week ago I missed a step and, because it was the middle of the night and I was very sleepy, I fell like a brick onto my foot. This is my first broken bone and I certainly hope that it will be my last. It was, according to the orthopedic surgeon, a clean break with no complications. Then how the he** much more does a “complicated break” hurt? I can’t imagine anything being more painful.


To be honest, I’m very disappointed in myself. I thought I was made of much stronger stuff. I should have immediately assessed the situation, crawled to the laundry room where I reached up and got a roll of packing tape and scissors from a shelf, a wad of newspapers from the recyclable bin, and fashioned myself a leg/ankle support of rolled newspaper. Then I would gently wake Jack who, after he had a nice, hot cup of tea (yes, I would have made myself one as well), would drive me to the ER.


Instead, I screamed and cried like a baby. And then broke out in a cold sweat and shook uncontrollably. Now really, how brave was that? So much for the Red Cross classes and the Girl Scout first-aid badges…


This past week has been very interesting. I broke a bone in the lower part of my fibula, in the ankle area, and one on the side of my foot. As a result, from below my knee to my toes, I am now wearing something called an “aircast”. This looks like a boot which astronauts wear, plastic and foam and straps and a little pump that inflates each side to provide support. So for the next week, until I see the doctor, I have to use crutches and not use the foot.


Jack is now taking care of cooking and cleaning. I was talking to my nephew yesterday and mentioned that his Uncle was learning how to do everything. Steve, in his late 20’s and a newlywed, was amused. “You mean Uncle Jack can’t cook anything?,” he asked. In defense of my husband, I had to explain that, while Steve grew up with 2 working parents and his father did a lot of the cooking, and now Steve makes dinner when his wife works later than he does, that was not something which Jack has ever done. His father’s foray into cooking was flipping burgers and steaks on the charcoal grill. Jack did make his own meals before we met, but that was 25 years ago. Cooking has since been my job. I not only enjoy it but, more often than not, I have the time to spend preparing 3 meals a day. As a result, I am woefully unprepared for this.


Our first couple of days after the fall featured leftovers from a chicken I roasted earlier in the week, and soup which I made the previous day from the chicken carcass. Then rigatoni with mini meatballs which I had made in November and frozen the leftovers. Unfortunately, after that we were on our own. One friend suggested a garlic-lime shrimp recipe which we served with steamed broccoli and rice was very easy and almost too delicious considering how quickly it was put together. Another easy meal was tilapia fillets sprinkled with Penzeys Trinidad seasoning, pan-sautéed, served with microwaved baked potatoes and steamed spinach. Another night was spaghetti with my Mom’s sauce (which, fortunately, she had given us several jars of when we visited at Christmas) and a salad.


Unfortunately today, Sunday, is Pizza Night. Last week I had taken dough from the freezer on Saturday night and placed it in the refrigerator to thaw; we used this for dinner on Sunday (I sat at the kitchen table, chopping veggies, while Jack rolled out the dough, made a simple red sauce, and assembled it). Alas, tonight I have to dig up a recipe for a quick food-processor dough. And that is what I should be doing now.


Following is the shrimp recipe which we used and give a big ol’ thumbs up to:


Garlic Lime Shrimp
May 2004


Canadian Living


1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced [you can use more, of course - I almost always do!]
1 tbsp grated lime rind
1/4 tsp each cayenne pepper and salt
1 3/4 lb large raw shrimp (about 50), peeled and deveined
1/4 cup white wine or chicken stock
2 tbsp lime juice
3 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)


In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry garlic, lime rind, cayenne pepper and salt, stirring occasionally, until aromatic, about 2 minutes.

Add shrimp; fry, stirring often, until slightly pink, about 3 minutes.

Add wine and lime juice; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until shrimp are bright pink and almost no liquid remains, about 3 minutes. Toss with onions and coriander.


[I serve this with rice.]


Makes about 4-main course servings. Per piece: about 16 cal, 2 g pro, trace total fat, trace carb, 0 g fibre, 29 mg sodium, 18 mg chol. % RDI: 1% calcium, 2% iron, 1% vit. A, 2% vit. C.


My notes:

I used 12 ounces of shrimp for the two of us, but kept the remaining ingredients as is for a bit more sauce.


And I apologize, but very few food photos will be posted until I’m back in the kitchen on my own!

1 Comment:

KristiB said...

Oh gosh I broke my ankle in two places a seven years ago so I feel your pain!! I hope you heal soon! You are so lucky to have your hubby help you!