Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Pizza-- again!

For the past several years, Sunday night has been Pizza Night at our house. For most of these years I have used the same pizza crust recipe and we liked it enough that I didn't feel the need to mess around with finding a new recipe. Well, until this past Sunday!


I joined a group called "A Year In Bread", where founding-member Beth posted her pizza crust recipe. It's an unorthodox recipe, the ingredients are mixed while ice-cold and the dough rises slowly in the refrigerator for many hours. As an end result, I'm tossing the old recipe! This made a wonderful pizza dough. It was easy to work with (remember to bring it to room temperature, there's nothing more frustrating than fighting cold dough) and the flavor was excellent.


I made this one with my red pizza sauce, light mozzarella, sweet onions, spinach, roasted red pepper, grilled chicken breast, and grated Parmesan.




The pizza sauce recipe:


* Exported from MasterCook *

Pizza Sauce


Recipe By: Vicci

Servings : 8



Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 teaspoons olive oil
3 large garlic cloves -- minced

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon dried oregano -- crumbled

1 teaspoon dried basil -- crumbled

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup tomato sauce

1 tablespoon tomato paste -- if needed


In olive oil, saute garlic and onion over low-medium heat until tender. Add dried oregano through black pepper and stir for another minute. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste, if the sauce is too thin. Mix w
ell, and cook at a simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Cool before using.


Yield:
"1 cup"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Per serving: 26 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (38% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates


How quickly weather changes here in early spring! I took this photo yesterday, and it was around 80F. Same time today, 35 degrees cooler. Ick. And , since the lows are to be in the low 20's (wind chill in the teens), I picked all of my hyacinths and daffodils. And several branches of forsythia, as well. If it's going to be Christmas outside, I'm gonna darn well have Easter inside! :) It's nice-- my house smells like a florist shop!





5 Comments:

Daisy said...

I'm grateful that my hyacinths haven't bloomed yet -- we had snow this morning. Ick! Lovely, but I was happy when it melted just after noon.

kitchenmage said...

Victoria, I am so glad to hear the dough worked so well for you. It is quite an honor to contribute a crust that replaces an old-time favorite that you have baked hundreds of times!

btw, if you have a flickr account, we'd love to have you post pictures of the pizza. It's very tempting looking.

Susan is posting later today and I have seen the pictures. You may want to check it out too.

And there's always next month. when we start over with a whole new kind of bread.

Vicci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicci said...

Beth, The photos are in the pool! :)

Daisy, as much as I had been lovin' those much-warmer-than usual temps we've been having here, it has made the inevitable "last snow" (???)so much more difficult to deal with. I should have realized that this was a false spring! Now to wait anxiously for the real thing. :)

previous post removed for editing...

Anonymous said...

Vicci, I'm so glad you posted the pizza crust recipe! I subscribed to the bread site and will be trying the pizza crust recipe tomorrow. (Always looking for new recipes, although Bob will mock me for messing with "perfection" since he likes my current crust recipe.... :-)